What types of rules and regulations are enforced in student housing?

The rules are strictly enforced in colleges and universities, especially those that have problems with students going out partying. From RA reviews to random inspections, the university has the last word when it comes to housing regulations, and the consequences can range from a slap on the wrist to expulsion. Incense, candles, gasoline, open flames, potpourri burners, or incendiary devices of any kind are allowed in student residences. Charcoal initiator liquid is not allowed in individual student units and can only be stored in room staff offices for programmatic use.

Students who are at least 21 years old or those students who have finished high school for two full years or more are eligible to live in apartments owned by the university or in off-campus housing. However, authorized university staff may enter a residence with or without notice under certain limited circumstances, as set out in the Student Housing License Agreement. Housing probation is granted when serious or repeated violations occur, and it means that students' choices are in conflict with the values of the residential community. All residences are equipped with a card access system that allows you to enter only the residence assigned to the student using the student's identification as the password.

By signing the student accommodation license agreement, you agree to comply with the permitted use of your network connection, as defined in the SSU Network Connection Policies and section 502 of the California Penal Code, in relation to the illegal use of computers. The Housing and Resident Living department encourages and welcomes students to decorate their room in a way that makes them comfortable, with discretion. During this period of time, any additional violation of University policy, REACH regulation, or housing probation conditions may result in more significant penalties, including the possibility of loss of housing or termination of the housing license agreement. Appeals for the termination of a student housing license agreement are reviewed by a 3-person board if the criteria are met.

Exceptions are made for students who reside with a parent or legal guardian within 30 miles of campus, students who are at least 21 years of age, or those who have been out of high school for two full years or more. Other special housing can be reserved for students with disabilities, students with honors, or international students. If REACH cannot contact a resident of the unit, they are allowed to enter the space to perform the inspection, as indicated in the Student Housing License Agreement under Section XV of the Right of Entry. Failure to comply with the sanctions or failure to comply with the assigned penalties within the specified time and in the specified manner will result in the resident being suspended from registration in a student's account and additional behavioral processes, and may affect their ability to live on campus or apply for future housing.

This will be valid even if probation is awarded after the student has obtained an apartment during the enrollment period in the apartment, or if probation is assigned while the student lives in an apartment owned by the university. During summer vacation, accommodation is available for a fee in a designated student residence for first-year and second-year students who will attend classes. Students who violate residential community regulations can also be held accountable for their actions by the SSU Office of Student Conduct and the Sonoma State University Police. The REACH conduct process is independent of the university conduct process and supports the Student Housing License Agreement.